Sending and Receiving Reported Error 0x80042109 in Outlook – Fix the Issue
February 16th, 2018 |
Trouleshoot Sending and Receiving Reported Error 0x80042109 in Outlook
While working on the local machine, sometimes an unexpected Windows error is faced by the user. All these errors mainly occur when a user does not expect them. Among all such errors, one of the commonly faced error by the users is Sending and Receiving reported error 0x80042109. This error contains a specific message also that points to a particular program going on the computer. It is mainly accompanied by the two type of messages i.e.
"Sending reported error (0x80042109): Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server"
"Sending and Receiving reported error (0x80042109): Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server"
However, these two messages look almost similar but signify two different situations. The first message says that a user is not allowed to send an email via Outlook but he or she can receive an incoming email. And, the second message states that one can neither send nor receive any message via Outlook. The difference in these two messages is not an issue, the main concern of users is why this error is occurring and how one can overcome it. This issue can occur in any version of Outlook while installing and updating it, or while sending an email. Thus, to get rid of Microsoft Outlook error 0x80042109, refer the different troubleshooting tricks discussed in the blog.
Why Sending and Receiving Reported Error 0x80042109 Occur?
If any error faced by the users, then there must be some reason behind it. Some of the major ones of them are discussed below:
- Virus or malware attack
- Unreliable Internet connection
- Large number of junk files with current warnings
- Inaccurate settings of email account
- Already installed anti-virus or malware program
- Improper installation of Microsoft Outlook
- Unavailability of Mail Server
- Pending updates of Microsoft Outlook update
Solutions to Resolve Sending and Receiving Reported Error 0x80042109 in Outlook
One of the most common problems faced by Outlook users is the problem of corrupted Outlook data files. This can affect your workflow and make mailbox items inaccessible. So, if you also face corruption issues, we recommend that you choose the automated utility to fix it. You can download the software for free and try the demo version.
Download Now Purchase Now
Fixing error 0x80042109 is either easy and quick or tricky and time-consuming, all depends on the reason behind the error. Here are various troubleshooting methods that a user can try to get rid of this error.
Solution 1: Quick Troubleshooting Tricks
Sometimes basic troubleshooting tricks can fix this error in just a few minutes.
- You can install trusted anti-virus program and perform a complete system scan for any virus and malware infection.
- Make sure that you are using a steady and reliable internet connection on the computer.
- You can also try to start Microsoft Outlook application 2 or 3 times after an interval of 10 minutes.
- Turn off all installed third-party anti-virus or malware program for some time.
Solution 2: Delete All Junk Files Permanently
It can also be possible that the junk files containing threats can result in many errors in Outlook including Outlook error 0x80042109. Thus, if a user removes junk files from the Outlook permanently, then it might resolve the error.
- First of all, hit Win + X keyin order to open the Menu.
- After that, choose Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- Then, to run Command prompt as an administrator, you have to click on the Yes button.
- Now, type cleanmgr and press Enter key.
- The program will start running automatically and evaluate how space is used by the hard disk. Then, you have to check all the dialogue boxes that contains unnecessary files.
- After that, click on the OK button and let users delete all junk files.
If the above two workarounds don’t fix this Sending and Receiving Reported Error 0x80042109 code, then try the next two solutions to resolve this issue.
Solution 3: Verify Email Account Settings
If any of the above methods is not able to resolve sending reported error 0x80042109, then you need to check the Outlook email account settings. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, open Microsoft Outlook application.
- After that, click on the File >> Account Settings option.
- Then, look for the email account in the dialogue box. Double-click on the email account and then on Change button.
- Now, click on the More Settings >> Advanced Settings option.
- Select the Outgoing Server (SMTP) port i.e. from 25 to 587.
- Then, fix the encryption to TLS.
- At last, click on the OK >> Next >> Finish button.
Solution 4: Install All Pending Updates
Sometimes, what users do is they download the updates but do not install them, which starts creating issue. Thus, check for any pending updates first and then install them.
- First of all, click on the Start button.
- After that, simply type Update keywordin the search box and press Enter key.
- Now, look if there is any uninstalled update(s) in the Windows Update dialogue box. Then, right-click on each of them and update them.
After trying each of the method discussed above, a user is advised to restart the system. Open Microsoft Outlook and try to send an email to check that the Sending and Receiving Reported Error 0x80042109 is resolved or not.