Outlook is Not Recognized as the Default Email Client – Troubleshoot the Error
December 22nd, 2017 |
How to Fix "Outlook is Not Recognized as the Default Email Client" Issue?
This blog is about an Outlook error which is faced by many Microsoft users while working with Outlook. We have discussed few possible situations in which this error can occur and how one can fix "Outlook is not recognized as the default Email client" error. Before going further, let us check in brief. Most of the organization are commonly using Microsoft Outlook as their default email application. It offers various components like calendar, contact manager, and notes etc., to its users. Moreover, it provides professional environment due to which it is popular among the various business users. But, in some situations, users encounter errors, which becomes really hard to resolve. In most of the cases, when a user tries to send an email via any other email application, it generates an error i.e. "Outlook not recognized as the default email client." Now, users do not know how to overcome errors like this.
When Microsoft Outlook is Not Recognized as the Default Email Client Error Occurs?
If multiple users are trying to send an email message through some other application, in that case, Outlook not recognized as the default email client. Another possible reason is installing Outlook 2010, 2013 or 2016 on the local machine after MS Office installation. In such situations, it displays an error message like:
Method to Check Is MS Outlook Set as Default Email Client Or Not
In order to make sure that Outlook account is set as default mail client or not, a user needs to follow the steps mentioned below:
- To start the process, go to the Control Panel and start searching for the Default Programs from a list.
- Then, you need to choose Set Default programs option.
- After that, select Microsoft Outlook(Desktop) option from the drop-down menu.
- Then, click on the "Set this program as default" option and click on the OK button.
- Here, if Microsoft Outlook is set as the default email client, then there must be some reason behind this.
In the next section, we will be going to discuss all the possible reasons & solutions to fix this “Outlook set as default mail client” error
“Microsoft Outlook is Set as the Default Email Client” Know the Reasons and Solutions
In this segment of the post, we have discussed all possible reasons with their respective solutions to fix "Outlook is not recognized as the default email client" issue.
Reason1: User is using Microsoft Outlook application programs with 64-bit and other applications are of 32-bit, which is unable to recognize by other applications.
Solution: The Microsoft Outlook application with 64-bit is not very helpful if a user is not using very large(around 2GB) database for an application such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access. However, for a normal user, it is not necessary to use Outlook of 64-bit. In addition, users are also not able to mix and match Microsoft Office 32-bit or 64-bit application. But in case, if a user is using 64-bit Outlook, a user needs to verify the registry editor for this key and if it is not available, then generate it.
Reason 2: There are some users who use Microsoft Outlook for both home and business C2R suite. This Click to Run suite, which is installed on the virtual hard drive generally makes Microsoft Outlook invisible from other applications.
Point to Remember: It is not applied to Microsoft Outlook 2013/ 2016 C2R suite.
Solution: In this case, a user must uninstall Microsoft Outlook 2010 for home and business C2R. Then, you need to download and install MSI application and the traditional Office suite. After that, it is easily recognized by all other email applications. This is also a way which can rsolve or remove "Outlook is Not Recognized as the Default Email Client" error easily.
Another possible way to make changes in the registry. If a user is not able to put Outlook in an unsupported mode then, follow the steps mentioned below to make the required changes in the registry:
- To begin the process, click on the Start menu bar.
- Then, just type Regedit in the search field and hit Enter key.
- After that, you need to browse the following path in the registry editor:
- Then, right-click on the Mail key and choose Export option in order to export a backup copy.
- Now, you need to save the backup copy at any desired location.
- After that, again right-click on the Mail key and choose New >> Key option.
- Then, you have to create a new key with Outlook64Bridge as a name.
- Now, from the Outlook64Bridge key, you need to generate a key with DLLPath as a name, After that, create a new key with the name DLLPathEx under the DLLPath.
- Then, you need to find MAPI32.dll file with 32-bit version on the local machine and enter the complete path in both the DLLPath keys.
- In last, simply make Outlook64Bridge as a default email client.
Reason 3: Another possible reason behind ‘Outlook is recognized as a default mail client’ issue is that a user has installed the application after Microsoft Office has been installed.
Solution: In some situations, if the program, which is affected was installed after Office, then a user needs to repair the Office installation. By following the steps mentioned below:
- To start the process, go to Control Panel >> Program >> Features option.
- After that, you have to locate and choose your Office or Outlook installation.
- Then, just click on the Change option.
- Now, choose Quick repair and click on the Repair button.
Microsoft Outlook is one of the widely used email clients by the organization users. Like any other email client, in Outlook also users have faced issues like “Outlook is not recognized as the default email client”. There can be any possible reason for this error, so we have covered all possible reasons with suitable solutions to fix this error without any trouble.