Microsoft Outlook Error 0x80040900 – Ways to Troubleshoot the Issue
April 23rd, 2018 |
A Complete Guide: How To Fix Microsoft Outlook Error 0x80040900
Outlook is an email service developed by Microsoft and used for the proper communication within the organization. By using MS Outlook, users can share emails, contacts, journals, tasks, etc. However, Microsoft Outlook users often encounter different error messages while using the Outlook application. For this discussion, Outlook error code 0x80040900 has been chosen. In this write-up, we will discuss several reasons and remedies for this MS Outlook error. So, readers will know how to fix Outlook error 0x80040900 using some manual methods from this post.
Causes of Error 0x80040900
There are some common reasons by which we can analyze that Microsoft Outlook is suffering from error 0x80040900:
- Incomplete or interrupted installation of Microsoft Outlook application
- Corruption in Windows Registry from a change in Outlook software
- Attack of virus that has corrupted system file on Outlook Program files
- Accidentally deleted any file related to the MS Outlook Program
Symptoms of Outlook Error 0x80040900
These are some general symptoms that occur while dealing with the MS Outlook error 0x800490900:
- "The server name you entered cannot be found on the network" message is displayed on the screen while using Outlook
- "Error 0x800490900" flashes on the screen and frequently crashes all active programs running on the Window.
- Operating System responds very slowly on the command and freezes frequently very much.
Manual Ways to Fix MS Outlook Error 0x80040900
There are several solutions to this error that users can try. In most cases, error 0×80040900 get solved through these manual methods. To fix this Outlook error, go through these approaches carefully.
Method 1: Assured Internet Connection in System
A User never focuses on the unavailability of internet connection and start executing unnecessary methods to troubleshoot Outlook errors. So, before implementing any method make sure about the internet connection. For checking the internet connection, first, open any browser and type any website on it. If its show some searching result, then it means you are connected to the internet.
Method 2: Add An Email Account in Microsoft Outlook
There are different steps to troubleshoot the Outlook error 0x80040900 in different versions of MS Outlook.
First add an email account in Microsoft Outlook and there are two ways to add, one is by using automatic approach and the other one is via manual approach.
Automatic Approach to Add Email Account in MS Outlook 2013 or 2016
For this method, a user needs to have an email address and a password that are provided by the Internet service provider(ISP).
- Launch MS Outlook 2013 or 2016 on the system.
- Select the File tab, a drop-down menu will appear. Go to Info and select Accounts Settings >> Account Settings from the drop-down.
- After that, select Email tab and choose a New option.
- An Add New Account dialog box will appear, to configure a new email account automatically. Now, follow each and ever steps in the Email Account under Auto Account Setup option.
- After that, Outlook tries to configure the user account automatically. Some ISP requires full email address should be entered in the User Name field. So, this information is provided by the ISP.
- If a user wants to save its email password on the Outlook, then select Save this password in your password list option. Once your Outlook account successfully configured, then Add New Email Account dialog box shows that the user profile is created successfully.
- At last, click on Finish >> Close.
Manual Way to Add An Email Account in Outlook 2013 or 2016
If the above-stated automatic method gets failed to configure the account in the Outlook. Then users can configure it manually. To configure the email account manually, perform these steps in the Add New Account dialog box.
- Open the Outlook 2013 or 2016 on the system.
- Select the Manual setup or additional server types and click on Next button.
- After that, select POP or IMAP and click on Next option.
- In the User Information option, perform these steps carefully:
- In the Username box, type the user name
- In the Email Address field, type the user Email address
Note: The name and password is provided by your ISP.
- Under the Server Information option, select the type of email account that you have in Account Type box. If a user chooses POP3 or IMAP in the Account Type box, perform these following settings:
- Type the name of a server in lowercase letters in the Incoming mail server box. The server name may be in the form of “mail.test.com” or in the IP form “22.214.171.124”.
- Type the name of email server in lowercase letters in the Outgoing mail server(SMTP) box. The name may be in the form of “email.test.com” or in the form of IP address, like “126.96.36.199”.
- Now, under the Logon Information, perform the following steps:
- In the User Name field, type the user name. Basically, the user name is the part of the user email address to the left of the @ symbol.
Note: Some ISP requires a full email address. For this information, contact your ISP.
- Type your password in the Password field. If user wants Outlook to remember the email account password, then check the Remember password box.
- If user ISP requires, select the Require logon by using Secure Password Authentication(SPA) checkbox. So, a user can log in with the help of Secure Password Authentication.
- Select Test Account Settings option, after selecting the Test Account following things happen in the account:
- The internet connection is confirmed with the system
- A user email account logged on to a SMTP server
- A user email account logged on to a POP3 server
- If the POP 3 server logged on first, then Outlook automatically sets Logon to incoming mail server before sending mail option.
- A test email is sent. This email messages describe any changes that occur in Outlook at the initial step.
- Finally, click on Next and then Finish.
Adding An Email Account in MS Outlook 2010
Like the Outlook 2013 or 2016, there are some different steps for Outlook 2010 version. Many emails services, including MS Exchange, Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, O365 and other POP and IMAP account can be added an account by using this procedure.
- Open the Outlook 2010 on the system.
- Select the File tab and then move to Add Account.
- After that, select Email Account and then enter the username, email address and password in the required field. Then click on Next.
- Type the password again, if prompted. Then select OK and Finish option.
Microsoft Outlook error 0x80040900 is not a rare error and can occur anytime. This write -up touched upon all the issues related to this error. Also, readers have learned about error 0x80040900 in MS Outlook solutions from this write-up. Furthermore, we have also explained causes and symptoms of this annoying MS Outlook Error code.