You Do Not Have Permission Required to Access PST File – Fix the Error
October 30th, 2017 |
Resolving The Error You Do Not Have Permission Required to Access PST File
"You May Not Use the File. There is Not Enough Permission to Use PST Files." or "Outlook File Access is Denied you do not have the permission." Are you also facing the same errors??
Corruption is quite common in Outlook data file(.pst) encountered by many people across the globe. They either use unreliable tools that can mess up data integrity of some messages. Or take backup of important conversations in PST file and save emails from damage or corruption. Over time, it may be necessary to access that old .pst file saved on an external drive. Many times an error message pops up saying "You Do Not Have Permission Required to Access PST File". This can be quite troubling as important data is saved in that file that might be needed urgently. This issue can be resolved by performing simple steps. Learn here about these methods and ways to remove Outlook error in PST file.
Why PST File Access is Denied in Outlook 2013
Following are some of the causes that may lead to access being denied for Outlook .pst file:
- Incompatibility in Windows versions when opening a PST file saved in XP PC to a Win 7 computer.
- Some .pst files can be saved with “Read Only” permissions causing Outlook PST file access is denied error.
- The backup file may have corrupted overtime causing errors to pop up.
You Do Not Have Permission Required to Access PST File – Approaches to Resolve
Here are a few tips that can fix error message “You may not use the file. There is not enough permission to use PST files” or Outlook File Access is Denied error and grant the access to open and read PST file:
Solution 1 : Change Permissions Before Importing PST File into Outlook
- First, right-click on the Outlook PST file >> Select Properties.
Backup.pst file is used as an example.
- Go to the PST Properties dialogue box >> Select Security tab >> Click on the Edit button.
- From the Permissions for Backup.pst screen >> Click the Add button.
- Now, from the Select User or Group window, select/type in Everyone to fix Outlook file access is denied error.
- Then, click OK button.
- In both the Permissions and Properties box, select OK to save the changes made.
- Next, try to open the PST file again to check whether the You Do Not Have Permission Required to Access PST File issue has been resolved.
Solution 2 : Change the User Account Control Settings
- First, go to Start >> Control Panel.
- Go to the Control Panel dialogue box >> Select User Account and Family Safety.
- Now, from the User Account and Family Safety section >> Click on User Account.
- There will be a User Accounts screen >> Click Change User Account Control Setting.
- From the Change User Account Control Setting screen, set the user account control to Do not notify. This is the lowest level of security settings and can fix Outlook PST permission denied issue.
Note: This may be a security risk and can leave a system vulnerable to attacks by malicious users. The computer or network can be attacked by malware such as Viruses, Trojan Attack. One must completely understand the risks involved in the implementation of this procedure in specific environments. If deciding on moving forward with this step, make sure additional security measures are taken to keep the system secure.
- If asked to confirm changes, click on Yes button.
- Then, restart the computer and try to import back the PST file. This is to verify whether Outlook PST file access denied issue is resolved.
- If the issue is still not resolved, make sure to restore the changes made in the User Account Control Setting. This can prevent any malicious entity from destroying or damaging the machine.
Solution 3 : Use Inbox Repair Tool to Fix PST Corruption
- First, open the folder explorer where the Outlook.exe file is saved. Generally, it can be found in C:/Program Files folder.
- Search for Scanpst.exe file and double-click on it.
- Now, the Inbox Repair Tool dialogue box will open that can fix Outlook file access is denied error. This is the inbuilt tool provided by Microsoft to remove any errors or minor corruptions in a .pst file. It can recover data that has been recently lost or deleted.
- Next, Browse to the folder location where the PST file having Outlook PST permission denied issue is saved. One way to locate this file is to go to Control Panel >> Mail >> Data Files folder.
- Then, click on the Start button to begin the scanning process.
- After the scan is completed, a list of errors will be listed. Click on Repair to fix Outlook PST access is denied error.
- Then, click on the OK button once the repairing is complete.
The Outlook data file(.pst) can get corrupted just like any other file. There could be other issues that can lead to an errors and bugs. One such message says something like You Do Not Have Permission Required to Access PST File error. The complete steps to remove and fix this issue has been discussed in this post. Read and follow them properly to avoid any chances of data loss or corruption.